The premiere of "Dot: An Ordinary Life, an Extraordinary Person," a documentary on the life of Dot Fisher-Smith, was shown last night at the Havurah Shir Hadash in Ashland. And wow, what a movie and what a great turn out! Over 200 people came to support Dot (who stresses the movie was "not her idea.") and the dedicated film crew.
Fisher-Smith trekked in Nepal, started non-violence training for protestors, guided women's groups in empowerment and overcoming the wounds of domestic violence — all the while claiming no special wisdom or answers to the complex problems of modern life.
The event was also a great opportunity for people to get a Buckhorn Springs Heritage Cookbook, offered at a reduced rate. Everyone who purchased the book was directed to page 154 to find Dot's piece on her women's retreats at Buckhorn titled: "Women at the Springs". Dot's women's retreats have been wildly popular and in constant demand. If you are interested please contact Dot at email@example.com for information about the winter retreat on the weekend of November 5th.
We hope you can join us for our next book signing at Roxy Ann Winery on Sunday, October 24th from 2-5pm. The book will be offered at a reduced rate with samples too! I'll leave you with this sample recipe from the book!
Until next time,
Pecan or Almond Sandies
Makes 2 dozen
These Sandies and the butterballs remind me of Christmas, winter snow days, and a cup of Earl Grey tea with milk and honey.
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
¹⁄³ cup sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons water
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups unbleached organic white flour
1 cup chopped pecans or almonds
1. Preheat oven to 325˚.
2. Cream butter and sugars in a bowl until smooth and pale yellow. Stir in water and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients.
4. Add dry ingredients slowly to the wet ingredients.
5. Once mixed, split dough in half, roll out into logs, place on parchment lined cookie sheet and refrigerate until firm.
6. Once firm, cut logs at a diagonal into ¼ inch thick pieces. Place cookies face down on cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.